My goal is to shape the scientific vision of a company which uses computational biology or data science to impact society.
More specifically, I envision my eventual ideal role as a CSO, or CSO-like person. I want to:
- interact with data analysis in a non-trivial way, either through doing analyses myself or advising on computational/data analysis work
- engage non-scientists and get them excited about our work and potential impact
- shape the long-term vision of the company I am a part of
My ideal company:
- impacts society through public health interventions or other population-level effects
- harnesses computational biology and ‘omics data to achieve impact
- preferentially works in areas with large disparities, and endeavours to reduce them
- centers its values in every aspect of the scientific work it does
One possible long-term career goal might be to be a key player in shaping the integration of precision medicine into public health, specifically focusing on conditions other than cancer (e.g. infectious disease, lifestyle-associated diseases, nutrition, health disparities, etc).
In my mind, “precision medicine” means any combination of multi-omics or otherwise “big” data and some sort of fine resolution (e.g. at the individual or neighborhood level, and/or longitudinal).
That said, I’m open to any career path that makes use of my technical training to reduce disparities and increase equity and justice in society.
Jobs that would really excite me:
- Shaping the future of data (especially biological ‘omics data) in public organizations like the CDC, WHO, or other large key players
- Establishing a data science team in an otherwise clinical or public health place (e.g. Data Science Director at the NIAID, Chief Data Officer in a large hospital or at a city or state public health agency)
- Early employee or leader at a company innovating on public health. For example, one that is creating new types of data for public health surveillance, and/or developing novel biomarkers for common diseases which have known health disparities
- Bonus points: a job that centers building up the open-source community (e.g. setting up computational infrastructure in labs around the world)